Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Squirrels in the Attic

I have squirrels in the attic and I can hear them during the day. They sound like they are stuck but I know in time they will go back out the way they came in.

The emotional squirrels in my attic ran my life before the program. There was always confusion mixed with denial and I was crazy most of the time. Everything so out of control moving fast in all directions kept me in a state of panic and ultimately depression.

When I came into the program I couldn't control the alcoholic or really anyone in my life. When I had exhausted every possible solution I could come up with I recognized how futile and exhausting this was and I was ready for help. It seemed like defeat to give up, but I can see now, I wasn't really giving up anything. The control I thought I once had was an illusion. When I finally recognized this I was free to focus on my own life and my own recovery.

Surrendering my will and life over to the care of a God of my understanding has helped me identify the things that hold me back. The kind of thinking that makes me crazy and keeps me crazy.

I still have squirrels in the attic and I know they will work their way out eventually the same goes for my emotional squirrels. I still have to go back to step one and work my way through but it does not take as long as it did the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment