Sunday, December 29, 2019

Change - transformation - design

I have been transforming my house. This is what I do when I want things to be different.  I figure changing my space will help to make things fresher and it really works.  I started doing this when I was old enough to sit on the floor and lean against a wall and push my twin beds to their new location.

My mother didn't seem to mind that about every month I re-arrange my small bedroom. I had two twin beds a dresser, night stand and a small desk.  Given that my room was only 10 x 10 I really had to get creative.  The walls were covered with posters, drawings and anything I wanted.  One time I made spirals from paper and covered the ceiling. My daddy wasn't too pleased with all that scotch tape.

Towards the end of my mothers sickness she decided that we needed to properly makeover our bedrooms.  We picked out our color scheme and we would get new carpet, drapes, paint and bed spreads. This was strange for our family since we really didn't ever buy anything new.

I thought long and hard about this because I didn't like things to be the same especially in my room. I settled on a Holly Hobby theme.  Hot pink and lime green would be the color scheme. Holly wore a little lime green bonnet and it matched my lime green carpet perfectly.

I have had a lot of time off this holiday and I have had to fight the stories in my head about how I got to where I am today. I am alone but I feel okay unless I think of how things could be different if I had made other choices but I didn't and here I am. I don't think this way except during the holidays. No one gets the perfect life like those Hallmark movies.  My mother certainly didn't.

I know now that she was preparing for her departure and wanted things to be as nice as possible for all of us. She picked red carpet for their room and my sister picked blue. I can see those little rooms in that house and the happiness and sadness we all experience there.

I she was here now she would roll her eyes seeing my house turned upside down.  She would say "nothing ever changes". 


No comments:

Post a Comment