Tuesday, February 18, 2020

What is really important - Coping with life

I left work an hour early today feeling a little sad and tired.  The sun hasn't shown itself in a few days that could be part of it but mainly because I also spent the afternoon with a client whose daughter was paralyzed this past year in a car accident. She is only 14 and they are renovating their home to give her better access.

I wasn't looking forward to the appointment because I wasn't sure the state of mind they would be in at this point.  I have been dealing with a friend of theirs until today.  I was surprised by the energy and humor their daughter had. Are we more resilient at 14 or maybe it is the personality that we are born with that decides how quickly we adapt.

I can't image the pain their family has endured to get to the point of functioning again. This is when you think "what is the plan?" Is there some get spiritual plan where this all is happening for a reason?  I am going to say no at this point and yield to my theory that life is random and you just have to make the best of what is handed out to you. I think we are in a better place when we look back and can see the gifts a bad situation has given us. The divine plan helps us to have closure.

I can tell myself to be grateful you have what you have today and that you are not being asked to accept the unthinkable. What about the mother seeing an knowing the trials ahead for her daughter.  What about the drivers involved knowing that a young girl's life has changed forever.  How would you not think about the millions of choices you could have made differently that day to prevent this outcome?

Life can deal out some pretty terrible cards and you just have to keep on playing like it or not. A mother with three other children can't stop an mourn the loss of the dream she had for her daughter. She has to just keep moving that is all anyone can do until healing take place and we accept this is the new norm.

I will say that as humans we can adapt to just about anything thrown at us. Some do it with grace and some do it by diving off the deep end either way it is still coping. We emerged changed forever and in my experience with a new reality about life and what is really important.




No comments:

Post a Comment