Thursday, June 25, 2020

Eat for mental health - I am not crazy my brain is starving

I have had a pretty good week with steady work but not too overwhelming.  We work basically six days every other week and for me that means the Sunday that follows I crash to recuperate.  This week I decided to work at home one day to kind of break things up. The quiet restores me.

It is funny because I actually get in the flow and end up sitting at my desk non stop all day.  It does seem to help me gather my thoughts and focus. I wonder if it this is because I don't have the interruptions from phone calls and socializing with the people in the office.  Today I felt rested after going in for about five hours. I am ready for two more days of a full schedule.

I got my yearly blood work back this week and it looks better than ever.  I am no where close to being borderline diabetic which means the Keto diet is still working. It did show low B-12 which affects primarily mood causing anxiety depression or apathy.  I think lately I would say I was in the last category.

I should know by now when my mood slips I should look at my eating. My thyroid numbers are a little low too so when I meet with the doctor next week I can get that adjusted. My grandmother and her sister and even my aunt had huge goiters caused by thyroid dysfunction.  They all looked like they had balloons wrapped around their necks. It is the thyroid located in the neck that is enlarged.  Mostly caused by the lack of iodine or sometimes just thyroid disease. In my family the women waited too long and ultimately had to have their Thyroid removed. 

Having thyroid problems causes extreme mood problems which in women can be confused with hormones especially at menopause age.  It is all linked but most of the time the thyroid is over looked and you get estrogen and progesterone. We want to think we are dealing with one thing and it is really multiple issues.

I am a poster child for Keto and mental health. While carbs and sugar are controlling our brain we just can't imagine letting go of our childhood sweethearts like a big bowl of pasta or a loaf of garlic bread.  The sweets that mom use to make -- this is an addiction in disguise. The more you eat the more you want it. Carbs have sedation effect but it is only temporary and then you need more. Then caffeine to pick up off the floor. 

Trust me when I tell you that I am not into suffering.  I put whipping cream in my tea everyday. Yum. I am not sure why I wrote about this today but maybe because I can address the emotional slump I have been feeling with food. How nice it is that simple. 

When I finally went to the doctor after my serious bout with depression I was close to having Hashimotos disease. This is caused by physical and emotional burnout where your adrenal glans are shot and you body turns against itself. In my family you just keep going until you drop. Once my sister's blood count was so far off they thought she had leukemia. She started eating liver something she hates and in a month her blood work was normal. 

With my B-12 drop I started eating eggs yesterday. The most complete protein on the planet. I already feel better today and just spent a half of an hour on the treadmill. Your body just wants to be respected an fed what it needs to be it's best. Loving yourself enough to really make the changes your starving brain needs. 








 

No comments:

Post a Comment