Monday, June 29, 2020

More light - Adapting to Change - Motivation

I have a new square of light on my kitchen counter tops.  It seems strange that it is there because the kitchen is pretty dark unless all the lights are on.  My neighbor had some of her limbs trimmed above her house and now there is light. More light really changes things in ways you don't expect whether that is physically because limbs have been removed or because life's circumstances alters the way you imagined things would be.

One of our youngest workers totaled their car this week a car that was paid for and now they are thinking maybe they should get a full time job instead of working part time.  I remember being that age and have one full time job and two part time jobs.  What else did I have to do I in my 20's I was poor with nothing but time on my side and I really loved being busy besides I needed the money. 

With parents having the means to support their kids even into adulthood it seems this has delayed their  motivation to find themselves. Working early at different things helps you mature and find what you like and understand yourself better.  Even more important dyou find out what you don't like.  For me I hated paperwork that involved numbers.  Being 22 and having the latest phone - computer - a roof over my head and someone cooking for you every night I might still be at home too. Probably not.  

I would never wish my past on someone else because it wasn't easy and I dreamed of coming home to someone taking care of me. I never had that once my own mother got sick when I was eight. I gave that to other people along the way because that is what I wanted for myself. I have spent a lifetime trying to find that safety and comfort on to realize in the past few year I can do that for myself. I don't have to wait for someone else to think I am worthy of love and care. 

Life is always changing and forcing you to map a different course. Like it or not when you are faced with a new normal you have to make changes. There will be a time just before you get over yourself where you are sad/mad and wish it wasn't happening .  That time will pass and if you are like me you will get sick and tired of being sick and tired.  You will decide to move on with your new reality and make the best of it.

We all do this at different paces and without outside support in my experience you don't have that much time wallow around in your own self pity. This is a good thing because life is short and being stuck is a waste of time. I have wasted a lot of time. 

Back to the trees.  We have zero lot lines here in the neighborhood and while they were trimming my neighbors limbs a big log rolled off the roof and landed on a small twin palm.  I was out there but didn't notice because the guy was holding it up. I was really mad yesterday when I saw it laying on the ground pulled up by the roots. I decided to dig the whole think up and move it. This will probably kill it. 

The truth is there is more light there now and I can plant something more colorful.  Adapting to change is a way of life and when something is removed it is an opportunity to consider our options. We never like it when it is happening but when we look back and see that with a little more light we can grow something new for ourselves.  







No comments:

Post a Comment