Sunday, July 12, 2020

Being the adult in the room - Not helpless and abused - Dealing with the anger of others

Hope everyone had a good week.  I had a long work we not too manic but exhausting. Working yesterday was the icing on the cake with a seriously agitated woman and her husband coming in to pick up some material they purchased over the phone the day before.  It wasn't the right material and she was yelling at the receptionist. She decided she needed an adult to handle this and called me.

We have someone that handles the small stuff that is hourly and only works the regular week. He is eager to please and sometimes gets the details wrong because he is moving so fast. He has been a big help to the designers because we don't have to deal with this kind of stuff. 

She took her mask off to yell at me. Truthfully I was shaking but I found the right items and had to price them and then refund the wrong items and recharge the right items.  I had gone back to my office and worked up the price it took me longer because didn't want to make a mistake under stress. 

When I came back out she was complaining that it was taking me too long and got in my face again. I finally said "please do not talk to me like that - we are trying to help you". Even with my mask on she knew she had gone too far at this point and her whole demeanor changed.

In my own nervousness I did end up charging her card instead of refunding it so I had to refund twice and then charge the new amount. She did thank before she left and said they were under a lot stress moving from one house to another,

I hate it when people think that people in customer service are there for their abuse. I hear my co-worker next door constantly hammering people on the phone anytime she has a billing problem and it seems she always has billing problems. It isn't the person on the phone or in the store who is personally responsible for the mistake made why ruin someones day.

I think people get outraged about things to vent all that they are unhappy about in their very small world. Especially now because people are having a hard time adapting to the world changes we are experiencing  Being outraged towards strangers does not solve anything and just creates more stress. 

I get it for sure and what ever anyone does to us it isn't personal.  It is coming from a place that has nothing to do with us. This doesn't mean you have to accept bad behavior and you definitely have a right to stand up for yourself in a controlled none threatening way. 

I don't always like being the adult in the room but it is better than feeling helpless and abused. I am always careful to not lash back but realize I don't know what is going on with the other person. I don't want to add fuel to the fire. 

Glad to be home today with only myself to deal with. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment