Friday, January 1, 2021

Politics - Mourning - Scars - my tribe - loss - rebuilding

There is a lot to be said about this year but I don't think I need to be the one to say it.  For some reason yesterday I was weeping on and off first watching a segment of news that showed the famous people that died this year. They were mostly actors and in some cases really old their 90's and some over 100. I thought about how lucky they were to do what they loved until the very end of their lives. 

I then went on to watch a special called The Way I See It by Obama's personal photographer. It was an incredible chronological depiction of the the eight years in office. Not staged just him with full access good and bad of the presidents every day actions and emotions. From Sandy Hook to meeting children that had written him letters. The compassion and dignity he gave to the office of the president made me overwhelmingly sad for what we are going through now.

The fact he was willing to be so open and inviting to have this judged. He was an incredible man who was both intelligent and showed his human side. He didn't pretend to know everything and brought experts together to weigh all sides before making hard decisions. This is a true leader who respects what other people bring to the table but ultimately takes responsibility for the final decision that has to be made. 

He had road blocks from the beginning and you have to wonder who wouldn't want someone like this running the country. Who would be against someone that intelligent, and treated people equally and with compassion?  

I think that people are generally good but we are all susceptible to the influences of our own tribe. It is easier for the mind to go along and fit in than to question the status quo.  To be an outsider in your own tribe leaves you vulnerable to the unknown wild elements. Safety in numbers if you get hurt you will have someone to take care of you. It is better to follow the crowd than to have your own beliefs.

I have been opposite of my own tribe since I could talk not really agreeing with anyone unless they could explain why.  I have spent a lot of time in the wilderness alone but it has also given me time to know what I believe for myself. I can accept the beliefs of my family and don't challenge them unless they challenge me..  At this point I am more than willing share why I think it is better to have a leader that is intelligent and compassionate that will give people hope and respect. One that listens to the experts and knows that they represent all the people.  Someone that is not flashy and willing to do the work.

This wasn't intended to be political in any way but I needed to understand my own sadness at this time. I am a strong person emotionally and have weathered this storm pretty well and for that I am grateful. I am an optimist and with my own experience know that in the end good will ultimately prevail. This will happen after the scars have healed and we find the courage to return to the fight. Every set back forces us to dig deep and see what we have learned and find our inner strength to move on.  

2021 will be a year of clean up, re-grouping and mourning for the loss we have suffered. It is like after a storm when everyone emerges from their homes to assess the damage and do the job of cleaning up. We can help comfort those that have suffered more than we have and begin to rebuild. Yes we can.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment