Thursday, September 10, 2020

Organizing - Purging the past - Always practicing letting go

I spent Sunday in solitude except for talking to my childhood friend for a few hours. I did my favorite thing which is organizing.  This can be super emotional and you have to prepare yourself for the waves of memories that may or may not come up.  I have a lot of old CD's from different times in my life and I need to get rid of the ones that I really don't listen to anymore. 

I have never done this before because it is just easier to keep things than to face and discard memories. I usually make a deal with myself to address the easy stuff.  This just means a quick pass through and chunk out anything that I have not real attachment to. This builds momentum for round two the maybe pile.

I also made myself commit to listening to any keeper that I really didn't know the music. These were CD's my ex husband left behind that weren't necessarily my choice. Like the band "Yes" do I really like this music or do I really think that I should keep it because this is a classic band? I listened and thought "would I listen again? Maybe." I put that in the keep pile.

I found a Gary Moore CD - When I played it I really liked it. In my twenties I loved Blues concerts but they were few and far between. Blues music really speaks to me with long guitar rifts full of energy and angst. Definitely a keeper.

I use to like the voice of Emmy Lou Harris and had a CD with her and Mark Knopfler as I listened to the sad folk type songs I asked my "will you every think I am in the mood for this sad melancholy music?" I said no I am not that person anymore so it is in the to go pile. 

Letting go of the person I use to be and the life I use to have is easier for my now. I have lived and loved those people and times but before now it felt like letting them go was dishonoring their existence.   It also felt like I would be nothing without those attachments. But now they no longer define me and these items are just stuff taking up space. 

Don't get me wrong there were a few CD's like Cowboy Junkies that even if I never listen to them again I will keep. Lay it Down - has soothed me many times and it deserves a space in my life. 

No sadness bubbled up - No regret of any kind which is always a nice surprise and is why I usually avoid these kinds of task. I felt strong and happy yesterday purging the past and the music that went with it. 




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the lesson in letting go. Much appreciated. We seem to face a lifetime of that process. I love how our memory is tied to places and things. My kids took me for a walk in our old neighbourhood. So many memories came welling up. It was such a satisfying walk.

    ReplyDelete