Sunday, April 22, 2018

Better at tearing things up than putting them together

Once when I was around 18 I took an aptitude test at our local college. It was suppose to tell you what you would be good at.  We had a manual dexterity test where you draw lines between dot and the straighter the lines the better manual dexterity you had.  You need this for skilled movement such as typing.  They said I had no manual dexterity.  No big surprise what bore connecting the dots.

The next test was a picture of different size and shaped boxes laid flat.  You had to pick the assembled  picture that you thought matched the flat picture. I got five out of five. They were surprised because usually only men get these right.  This was the early 80's practically caveman thinking.  They did add that I am probably better at tearing things apart than putting things back together. Based on what?

In the end they said I should be a lawyer, manager or architect. I laugh about that now because early on I was in the Title business which is mostly reveiwing legal document then was a mortgage manager for ten years and now a designer. All completely by accident really.  Not really.

I did take typing in high school which I was terrible at barely getting a "C" I knew I would never be some one's assistant.  Of course it turned out to be one of the most practical skills I have ever learned. Using it right now.

I was thinking about the tearing up part last week while I was building stuff in my garage. I have always enjoyed making things even if the finish product isn't perfect. My job is so mental I create things and other people make them happen.  It feels good to do the physical act of building something.  Having an idea and making it come to life. 

It isn't typically a girl thing to build stuff but I have have always challenged those lines in the sand in many areas of my life. I find if you just go about your business acting like there is no barriers then people just accept you they way you are. If you don't expect opposition then you seem less threatening to those that want to stop you.

There will be oppositions for sure but bracing yourself for it zaps your energy and they win. It is never really personal it is just people bringing there own fears to the table.  I have been too busy doing my own thing to consider that other people might have a problem with it.

I have always wanted to fit in but I was never willing to do what it took to get there.   I had my own ideas and plans and never accepted the limitations put upon me.  I am just now starting to appreciate the things I have accomplished and the person I am.  Even if I am better at tearing things up then putting things back together. 








1 comment:

  1. What I assumed it took even though I didn't really know.

    ReplyDelete