Friday, July 26, 2019

Lizard Brain - Change

I feel change in the air and it is a little unsettling.  I think for the most part we want things to be the same and comfortable.  I have heard this called the lizard brain.  We want to relax and be free from worry and the way we do this is to imagine everything will stay just as it is today.  Our lizard brain wants us to get settled into a routine good or bad because change feels uncomfortable.

Right now I feel a little scared and excited because a few things that impact my daily routine.  We have an new person on our team. We are training her and she is bringing a new dynamic to our stagnant routine.  She is young and has opinions of her own and can see things with fresh eyes.  We are older and have encountered the limitations we have in our work life and have learned  to work with in the system.

It is nice to see the unstoppable nature of youth.  At her age I was setting the world on fire and didn't take no for answer.  This is her opportunity to buck the system and see if she make some changes. She doesn't have our history so she doesn't know why we have the limitations that we do. 

We get stuck and with time we learn to adapt to what is instead of what could be.  I think when you get older you realize that you have a limited amount of time and don't want to waste it stirring the pot. You want to get in and out as fast as possible so you can do what you want in your free time.

She is also an artist and studied art locally she gave me a name of a woman that is holding a great weekend workshop in September.  I signed up for it today. Change is good for getting things moving. I need a new personal life and I am trying to do that even if my lizard brain is nervous.

We are slow right now and have too much time on our minds. It is normal for the middle of summer but it feels weird to step off the roller coaster even for a few weeks. This is also puts my lizard brain on high alert. I want to be more comfortable with change and not see the unknown as possible pending doom.


No comments:

Post a Comment