Saturday, November 28, 2009

Acceptance


Today when I opened my computer journal I noticed that it has been exactly one year today since I started that journal. My feelings were so raw and I was facing the uncertainty of my life with fear. Strangely the circumstances of my life haven’t really changed that much but with the passing of time I have reached a place of acceptance.

The Serenity Prayer talks about accepting the things I cannot change. That encompasses a lot of things including sometimes my own thoughts. If a thought takes hold sometimes I am powerless, on my own, to get unstuck and sometimes only time can make a difference. Accepting my powerlessness over even my thoughts can be freeing. Sometimes just riding things out and recognizing that even though I can’t see it my Higher Power is working on me from the inside.

Today I am not the same person I was a year ago or even yesterday. I can look back to both without judgment. I can’t always be where I want or like where I am but with the program I can be in a place of acceptance.

No comments:

Post a Comment