Sunday, November 29, 2009

Stop and Smell the Roses


“…restore me to my capacity to wonder.”

This is the last sentence for the January 12th reading in One Day at a Time (aka ODAT). It was used for today meeting on joy and wonder. Most people focused on joy but for me wonder is really what makes me feel joy.

The beautiful rose in the picture was plucked at the peak of perfection by a friend of mine on Thanksgiving. It was even more beautiful this morning but I over slept and didn't have time to take a picture.

Today it is easier for me to see beauty and find joy. Before the program I was too busy fighting the committee in my head to pay attention to anything around me. I had a list of things that needed to be accomplished and nothing got in my way. I am not that person today. Today it is important for me to take time to see what is really in front of me whether that is a person or the beauty in nature. I am actually in the moment most of the time. For me this is the biggest gift of the program, being present.

When I see newcomers start to get better. It is like they are seeing things for the first time and for me this is joy and wonder all wrapped up together.

A rose is beautiful no matter where it came from or if it is past it’s prime. It is important for me to ask God to help me find joy and wonder every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment