Sunday, August 11, 2019

Bear at the back door - Towers

It seems I always start my post with a review of the week.  This post will be no different and I have to say this has been a particularly hard week with too much on my plate especially compared to how slow it was in July.  Most days 10 hours or more which leaves very little in the gas tank by Sunday.

That is all I have to say about that.  A line from Forrest Gump which I saw for about a minute yesterday that movie sometimes gets on my nerves.  I slept late hung over from my six day week thinking I would do my usual Sunday ritual and work in my yard but after putting on bug spray and walking around the yard here I am writing this post.

I did talk to my sister for a few minutes this morning using face time while I drank my coffee.  She had accidentally called me while carrying her tablet around the house.  We cut it short because she had to get ready for church.  We have started using face time to show each other our flowers and projects around the house.  I am not too keen to have her see my waking up and drinking coffee face.  My southern roots go deep and no one see you until you put your face on.  Anyway it was a nice short conversation her telling me a bear came to her back door this week. 

She lives in the mountains and apparently this is pretty common.  Their property is steep and no one lives above them and bears periodically stroll through the back yard.  In my world the only bears are the two legged kind. She said she would just make sure and lock the door when she lets the dog in and out from now on.  Good idea.

In my recovery from the week I watched Moonstruck last night.  Watching things over and over help still my mind.  I really don't need to be engaged in something new and I have found knowing what will happen next puts me into a more meditative state before going to sleep.

In the movie they show a beautiful picture of a harvest moon next to the twin towers.  It always makes me sad to see that part of the movie.  I think about how much has changed about our world since then.  In the movie there is a scene at the airport where he is picking up his bags before our current security.  They use to just make sure you had your bag. 

The other movie I watch regularly is Family Man.  I really like Nicolas Cage and he is in both Moonstruck and Family Man.  Ironically Family Man was filmed just before the towers went down.  He drives to the city in the snow on Christmas day and their they are a really beautiful shot.  It was common up until then to show a picture of the towers in movies so the watcher knows what city the character lives. Now the show the Chrysler Building.

We are coming up on the anniversary an we have as a country for the most part moved on.  What choice do we have?  Our time here is short and every day we need to take care of what is right in front of us.  Our family and friends even strangers that we meet each day showing kindness and tolerance along the way.  Spending our time doing things that bring us joy and peace. 

With our electronic connections to the world today it can seem overwhelming.  We might feel like there is no point in doing anything.  Bad things have gone since man was in charge it is no wonder the planet is trying to get rid of us. The difference now is that we know more of the details and it makes it real and our fear is it could happen to us.  We have to find our peace within our own lives.

Even though this may seem life a sad post it isn't really.  Life is good and I feel encouraged that we as humans can overcome most anything thrown at us.  We get into trouble when we spend our free time preparing for some disaster that will probably never come.  Life is randon and short we can't afford to waste the time we have.  That is all I have to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment