Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Step Four- Taking inventory


I have spent the last few days doing a personal inventory. It has been an inventory of my belongings but it is for me also a spiritual inventory. Looking through all my stuff takes energy and helps me evaluate where I am in my life and where I have been. When I moved almost 2 ½ years ago I was in shock it took everything I had to pack and move. I don’t consider myself a materialistic person but I am attached to my stuff. It represents where I have been in my life and when I am ready to get rid of something I am spiritually ready to move past that place in my life. A periodic purge is healthy and it is funny how something that you thought was important at one point in your life has no real meaning later on.

Taking an inventory material or spiritual can take a lot out of you and shouldn’t be entered into lightly. Even if intellectually you think you’re over something you can’t escape the feelings that come up but it is worth the work and will leave you lighter than before. Facing the feelings associated with the past is the best way to live in the present.

No comments:

Post a Comment