Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Resting between creative ideas

Living alone and being single definitely has its advantages. I didn't expect to end up alone for this many years and now that my life returned to normal I have a lot of time on my hands. I have to admit that I get bored and that this thought "I'm bored" really stresses me out and makes me feel guilty.

I came from a family where you had to be productive. If you weren't accomplishing something then you were lazy. You should be at the very least be reading a book preferably the Bible. This isn't a bad way to raise kids and has given my sister and I a great advantage in the business world with a work ethic that is hard to beat.

This weekend I felt so guilty just wanting to lay around and do nothing. It is my right as an adult to do what I want when I want. Right? Sometimes I just don't want to do anything but my mind says this isn't normal and maybe I am depressed. That brings on another slew of thoughts that lead to no where you would want to go.

I thought about this fear of the word bored and decided to redefine boredom as "resting between creative ideas" This actually makes me feel better about my down times.

I really do need these times of doing nothing and being with no one and not accomplishing a thing. It makes the rest of my life more energized and actually more productive. It is stillness. It is rest.

When I got to the office yesterday morning it was like a slow awakening. I was able to look at my work with fresh eyes because I literally had fresh eyes from all that extra sleep.

So I will never be ______  again I will just be resting between creative ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment