Saturday, September 5, 2015

Birthday - Doing my best

Today is my birthday and I am off so of course this leads me to extra reflection. I am asking myself am I happy is this where I want to be?  I was looking forward to my birthday probably for the first time in a long time.

The recent years past I have be sad or at best indifferent to them. This year I felt a little more interested in the celebrating of me until I got a letter attached to an email at work. A customer sent me a five page letter outlining all the things she didn't like about me.

I could go into a long explanation but at this point at this place it doesn't really matter.  We didn't actually even do the job so all this was based on her pre-sale opinion. I didn't take it personally but it has made second guess myself so maybe I did take it a little personal.  I haven't decided whether I will respond or not.

When I met them I thought how they reminded me of customers from my previous job. The kind that needed a lot of one on one attention which in the past I was able to provide. We charged more and had fewer jobs but here the volume is high and I am working 60 hours a week just to keep up.

I didn't think we were a good fit but I decided to just do my best and roll with it. I never know what to do when this happens.

Anyway this has put a damper on my birthday. I am telling myself I should have taken better care of them met their every need. She had been planning this bathroom for 12 years and her expectations were high. Living in the her story.

I know I can't control the thoughts or feelings of others but it still hurts. I will look at my own part in this and do better next time.  I always do my best even if it isn't always good enough for everyone.

Today I am meeting my friends at some one's house and we are making dinner followed by chocolate cake and coconut ice cream.  What more could you ask for?

1 comment:

  1. We weren't made to be liked by everyone.
    I say that to myself when self-doubt niggles at my peace. As long as we do the best we can at the time we do it.
    Happy Birthday, hunny, and may the coming year treat you gently.

    ReplyDelete