Monday, August 22, 2011

Perspective - I can change mine if I want

Why is it that when you don't like the way things are you tend to focus on the shortcomings of others. What other people are not doing that you think they should.

I got to the office today and it is a real mess. It is not like it is a surprise to me because I was the last one here Saturday night. So unless angels came in on the Lord's special day I shouldn't expect things to look different.

Living my life through my own special glasses has kept me from seeing and accepting things as they are. The hope that magically they will be different is the real problem. When I choose to take them off then I have to adjust to reality, again even this is another version of my own reality.

The truth is I didn't have a totally restful nights sleep and I woke up with a little pain in my right hip. Nothing mysterious my gait is off and I did a lot of work around the house yesterday barefooted and aggravated it. It is already better.

Speaking of perspective while cleaning yesterday I got a painting out that I did 20 years ago. It was wrapped in paper from the move four years ago. I never liked it much. I painted in a class setting and it is of a swamp with blue herons. I took it out and propped it up in my studio. A friend came over for dinner and saw it and said I love this, who painted it? Obviously not my style. I made my confession and we finished dinner.

After dinner I asked him if he really liked it and he said yes. I asked him if he would he like to have it and he was really thrilled. A belated birthday present and a big step for me, letting go of my past even if it is something I don't like.

I am better now that I have written these words and vacuumed the showroom. Everything in my world is just as it should be and the only thing that needs changing is my perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment