Sunday, July 4, 2010

Freedom

I got up this morning with no real plans for today the thought of freedom crossed my mind and since today is the ultimate celebration of freedom I thought I would write something about it.

We say we want freedom but with freedom we can find ourselves with a lot of uncertainty and fear. The monotony of the every day mundane task whether that is work or chores or even something we use to enjoy provides us with a certain amount of comfort. When things change and we are free to choose something else fear starts to bubble up. There is no security in freedom just endless possibilities good and bad.

I usually don't choose freedom it chooses me. All the big changes in my life were things that were forced on me by someone else's choices. I don't feel like a victim any more in recovery you learn that it all works out. In most cases the writing was on the wall and I didn't want to see it or I wasn't ready to see it. I don't blame myself anymore I realize the result was the same with or without my making the choice. God does for us what we can't do for ourselves.

With freedom there is uncertainty. If you believe that we choose our own path consciously or unconsciously or if you believe that God chooses it for us dealing with the fear of change is part of our human experience. Accepting the ebb and flow of this experience is part of the journey. Pushing through the fear and living in the moment keeps us from going crazy. So just for today we can celebrate the joy of freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment