Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Darrell - Fig Newtons and 10 speeds

I needed to get away from my desk for a few moments today. The cabinet shop in the back was using one of their machine that vibrates my office and produces a high whining noise just for good measure so I went out and sat in my car for a few moments and ate a fig newton.

While sitting there a very thin old man road by on his 10 speed bicycle and he reminded me of someone from the past.

When my husband worked for a major restaurant here in the mid 80's there was a dishwasher that worked there named Darrell. Darrell lived on the streets and road a beat up 10 speed.  He had long stringy hair and looked like he had escaped from somewhere .

He never spoke a word but showed up every day for work.  I think my husband, who had a soft heart. had talked management into letting him work there.  He was a little paranoid but seemed okay for washing dishes.

I knew about Darrell because I had to pick my husband up from work everyday he had lost his license. I would sit in the car behind the restaurant and see Darrell taking a break by the dumpster where he chained his bike.

One day he went missing. He had had some outburst and disappeared. From time to time we would see him on his bike riding about the city. He always looked like he was in a big hurry to get somewhere.

The guy today could have been him. He was the right age and under his unshaven face he could be have been Darrell. Even all these years later.

It is probably just a fantasy. We really didn't know what was wrong with him whether it was alcohol or drugs or maybe just mental illness or all three who knows.

There are so many people out there that seem like they need help but a lot of them just want to be left alone. I sent him peace in my mind wherever is today.

No comments:

Post a Comment