Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Little Miss Mary Sunshine - You gotta get up

I had an early appointment this morning with a client and had to get up at 6 am this morning. I have been a night owl since birth and have never been able to go to sleep early or get up early. My parents added to this by keeping us out late for church revivals. In the day they called us holy rollers and the quality of the service was gauged by the hours at the alter.

So getting me up in the morning as a child was a quite a task. I was what you would call strong willed, but my mother was also strong willed and had a particularly annoying routine to get me up. First it started with a loving kiss and a gentle shake and then she would starting singing. You gotta get up, you gotta get up, you gotta get up in the morning. This would have been accompanied by a bugle but luckily we only had a piano in the house. Then things got ugly the covers would be pulled off the bed and the final straw a cold wet wash clothe on the face.

I remember always being tired as a kid and for most of my adult life going against the tide. Some of first jobs I had to be at work by 6 am. The career I have now is the first that actually coincides with my natural sleep patterns and I am never tired.

I don't know why thoughts of my mom came up this morning. I guess I was thinking some things never change. Some things do they don't call us holy rollers any more we have been elevated to charismatics. I use to feel guilty about being so head strong and giving my mother such a hard time but, the truth is, I would have never survived her death and the things that happened after that without that particular character defect.

I need a nap now.

No comments:

Post a Comment